Monday, March 23, 2009

Warhammer and Beyond

Warhammer Online has not impressed me. There, I've said it. Group PvP is the only part of WAR that I still enjoy. The rest of it is all mind numbing. This is of course my opinion, but what else would you expect on my blog. I still greatly enjoy roaming around in ORvR with anywhere from 2-20 people. I used to be into soloing, but once I made my Rune Priest I dropped that for the most part. I do like losing large groups in the streets of Praag. That is a rush well worth my time, but beyond that solo play holds no interest for me anymore. So to get back on point...group play is where it's at for me atm. If there aren't any guildmates on willing to do some ORvR then I normally log off or hit the AH up while waiting to see if anyone logs in. We still have a healthy number of people in the guild, but many have leveled or are in the process of leveling alts.

I don't see myself playing WAR much longer, unless something really special comes along. I won't say this is a server-wide trend, but I know several people who are getting bored with the game or have already quit. I still maintain that the PvP systems and the classes are fun, but everything else in the game is downright abysmal.

Mythic also scored low points in terms of how they react to the playerbase. I think they do a great job of communicating with the playerbase, but they tend to make changes that leave us all wondering. It's not uncommon for a powerful class to be over-nerfed and a weak class to be over-buffed while some classes receive little to no changes months after release. Mythic seems to like changing several systems at once instead of changing one at a time and observing what effect it has. On a smaller scale this effects class balance as sometimes whole mechanics are nerfed based off of a few skills, and the skills are nerfed as well leaving the class weak. At the same time other classes will be buffed and the entire balance gets destroyed. I will admit that in larger battles this has much less impact, but Mythic does this with larger systems as well. It's just built into their design policy it seems.

So what am I going to do if I leave WAR? Good question. If I pick up another MMO it'll likely be Mortal Online. I had originally intended to try Darkfall, but I'm not all that impressed with it from what I've seen and read. The only thing that appeals to me is the way combat works. Not even the combat itself, just the way it works. I am impressed with what they've managed to pull off and I still hope DFO succeeds, but I won't be purchasing the game. I applied to the Mortal Online beta and hope to get in so I can offer more direct feedback on the game. I'll do a writeup of what the game is advertising in the next few days so that those unfamiliar with the game have a place to start. Spring and Summer are rolling around the bend though, and I'm dreadfully sick of Winter (I live in the Northeast US) and being cooped up so I may take a break from MMOs in general. We'll see =).

Later.

1 comment:

  1. I think I know what you mean. I like playing War, but I don't like playing any of the classes, if that makes sense. If I'm not impressed by War by the time my subscription ends, I'll probably play some free online games before I spend any money on anything else. There's one called S4 league that looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete