Sunday, February 22, 2009

My WAR History

I thought maybe I should post up what I've done so far in Warhammer so that in future blog entries any readers I may have will know where I'm coming from.

When WAR came out a thread was started by a fellow player on our server forums in Lotro. The point of it was to organize players on the server who wanted to try WAR. After spending a day or so in beta I contacted the person who started the thread (taugrim) and asked if he was interested in starting a guild in WAR to organize players from Landroval (our Lotro server). Eventually we decided it might not be a bad idea and if the guild fell apart after a while then so be it. We thought it'd be cool to pick a name that was reminded us of lotro while also making sense in WAR. Eventually we reached the conclusion that Conjunction would fit the bill (conjunctions were group moves that could be performed in lotro). So once the game went live we formed up with 6 people. Here is a link to our guild stats now (clicking on our name will yeild more info). We've grown a lot and we've stuck together. There have been hard times, but taugrim has proved to be a great guild leader and I can see the guild staying together for a long time. Now on to my play time in WAR...

I started out in open beta playing a Marauder. I had previously played a Champion (mdps) in Lord of the Rings Online and I wanted to pick something I would be somewhat familiar with. On top of that I wanted to play Destruction because they had the "cooler" classes. I ended up dying to 5 mobs in the cemetery near the Chaos starting area. My first quest and I died. Yes it was an accident and I didn't mean to pull the extra mobs, but I took it as an omen and tried a Bright Wizard. I know, you're thinking, "What? You go from playing a mdps on Destruction to playing a rdps on Order just like that?" and the answer is yes. I wanted to test a lot of classes and being uninterested in the Chaos starting zone I thought I'd try Empire. So I loaded my BW in after customizing his look (I made him look as ridiculous as possible given that it was beta) and got to work on some quests and scenarios. I was having an absolute blast. Throwing fireballs around and doing lots of damage seemed like my kind of gig. I couldn't see myself playing anything else.

So I continued playing my Bright Wizard and felt oh so powerful along the whole journey. Topping damage in nearly every scenario I was in felt good and made it feel like I was doing something. It was in T2 and T3 where I started using fraps to capture scenarios and 1v1 fights to then post on youtube. I had learned about this process from taugrim (link to his youtube page). He had made a lot of videos in lotro and they were both entertaining and filled with useful information. I thought I'd try my hand at it, so I started a youtube profile, purchased the full version of fraps and got at it. Here is a link to my youtube page. As you can see I don't have nearly as many videos or followers as taugrim, but I use a similar approach. Anyways to move on, I ranked up my BW to 40 and found that our guild was lacking tanks and mdps, so I decided to roll a White Lion. Taugrim had also been playing a BW at the time, but he switched to Swordmaster so that our guild would have another tank. So now we were short on rdps, but it didn't matter that much to us because we both were having more fun and felt more useful on our melees (this was before the BW nerf).

White Lion was a very fun class. It's incredibly mobile and has all sorts of tools and dps to fit into most situations comfortably. I didn't think I'd like the pet when I first rolled the class, but I found use for it other than just fetching targets. We'll see how 1.2 impacts White Lions, but I don't imagine I'll go back to playing him full time. So to move things along here....I was only R40 on my WL for a month or so when I decided to finally level my Rune Priest. RPs and Zealots are my favorite class in the game which surprised me as I'd never been into the idea of being a healer before. I'm still currently ranking my RP up, but he's R37 now and on the downhill portion of the grind. Yes solo leveling as a healer is a grind and I hate it, but once you get rolling it isn't all that bad.

So I jumped around a little and cut a few things out, but overall that's more or less my WAR history so far. I've been testing Slayers on the pts and it looks like I may have to rank another character up once they release. Anyways there you go. Now you know a little something about me so in future posts I can reference back to this if need be. My future entries will be less about me and more about the games I'm playing.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment